Restore Your Smile with Dr. Shlafer
Dental implants are a permanent, natural-looking replacement for missing teeth. They consist of a titanium post that’s placed in your jaw, a small connecting piece called an abutment, and a stunning porcelain crown on top.
For patients missing more than one tooth, we can also use implants to secure a multi-tooth bridge or even a full-arch denture. No matter how many teeth you’re missing, dental implants can provide the restoration you need.
Implants offer several unique benefits, including:
- Natural appearance
- Restores full chewing function
- Easy to maintain
- Resistant to infection
- Stimulates healthy jawbone growth
- Can last a lifetime with proper care
The Dental Implant Process
The dental implant process at our practice consists of three simple steps:
- Free Consultation -- Your treatment begins when you schedule a free consultation with Dr. Shlafer. During this visit, he’ll evaluate your health and determine if implants are the ideal option for you. He’ll also recommend supplemental procedures, if necessary.
- Implant Placement -- Once he determines you’re ready, Dr. Shlafer will place the implant post in your jaw and protect the surgical area with a temporary crown or flipper. You’ll need to allow four to six months for your jaw to fully heal and integrate with your implant. This process is called osseointegration, and it’s the key to a healthy implant.
- Restoration -- After osseointegration is complete, you’ll return to our practice so Dr. Shlafer can attach the abutment and top it with your final restoration. At this point, all that’s left to do is enjoy your stunning new smile.
If you’re short on time, we can place your implants in a single appointment with Teeth-in-a-Day. This convenient option allows you to restore a full set of teeth in just one visit to our office.
Dental Implant Candidacy
If you want a natural-looking, permanent solution for missing teeth, dental implants are the ideal solution. To avoid any issues that could ruin your treatment, implant candidates need to have a strong jaw bone and healthy gums.
Thanks to advances in technology, more patients are able to receive implants now than ever before. If you suffer from jawbone deterioration or gum disease, we can restore your candidacy with a supplemental procedure, such as bone grafting or soft tissue augmentation.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do dental implants last?
The length of time your implant lasts mostly depends on you. With proper care and maintenance, your implants can last a lifetime.
How much do dental implants cost?
The average cost for a single tooth is $3,000 to $4,500, though this can vary significantly based on your specific case and the restoration you choose.
How do you take care of your dental implants after the procedure?
For the first week after surgery, limit your diet to soft foods and clear liquids. Rinse your mouth out after meals to reduce inflammation and avoid spitting or using a straw. Also refrain from drinking alcohol or smoking for at least a few days.
After your surgical site has healed, you can care for your implants like natural teeth. Simply brush and floss every day to keep them clean, and visit your dentist at least twice a year.
Are dental implants safe?
Not only are dental implants safe, they’re the only restoration that protects your oral health in addition to enhancing your smile. This is because the titanium implant fixture fuses with your jawbone to replace your natural tooth root, stimulating healthy bone growth.
Does insurance cover my dental implants procedure?
Unfortunately, most insurance plans don’t cover dental implants. However, you may be able to get a portion of your treatment covered, depending on the terms of your plan.
What do I do if there’s a complication with my dental implants?
Dental implants have a success rate of 98%, so it’s unlikely that you’ll have any issues. In the event of a complication, it’s crucial that you don’t try to fix it yourself. Instead, contact us right away and Dr. Shlafer will find an effective resolution.
Visit Dr. Shlafer for Dental Implants
If you want to restore health and beauty to your smile, dental implants are likely the right choice for you. Call our office at (248) 781-0040 to schedule your free consultation with Dr. Shlafer. It’s the first step to your new smile.