A Beautiful, Permanently Restored Smile
When dental trauma or tooth decay leads to tooth loss, replacing missing teeth not only improves the aesthetics of your smile but also restores its function. Your teeth fit together in such a way that eating and speaking can be done effortlessly. However, your teeth also serve as the first line of defense against bacteria. Without them, your oral health and overall wellness are in jeopardy.
That’s why Dr. Shlafer recommends a restorative dental procedure to bring your smile back to full glory and protect your oral wellness. If you’re missing all or most of your teeth, traditional dentures are no longer your only option. Dental implants can restore your smile but require patients to have a dense jawbone for success and sometimes a supplemental procedure is needed in order to qualify for dental implants. All-on-4 implants could be the perfect treatment to permanently restore your smile, they can be used with patients who have jawbone issues without the need for additional surgery.
Read on to learn more about this renovative solution and why Dr. Shlafer recommends it.
What are All-on-4 Dental Implants?
All-on-4 dental implants are a permanent restorative solution to replace one or both arches of missing teeth. They’re surgically placed into your jawbone to restore the optimal function and appearance of your smile. Through a process called osseointegration, the titanium fixtures fuse to your jawbone so they function like natural teeth. This stimulates healthy bone growth while protecting your gums from bacteria and possible infection. Because the implants are strategically placed in the densest parts of your jaw to maximize your available bone tissue, this eliminates the need for bone grafting, making All-on-4 an ideal option for patients with limited bone mass.
Perhaps the greatest advantage of All-on-4 is that we can provide you with a temporary prosthetic immediately after surgery, allowing you to leave your first appointment with a natural-looking, fully-functional smile. Because you won’t need a bone graft, you’ll also save time and money.In a few months, when the implants have fully integrated with your jaw, you can return to our office for your final restoration. Once your All-on-4 implant-supported dentures are in place, you can enjoy the benefits of a healthy and beautiful smile for many years to come.
The Benefits of All-on-4
All-on-4 permanent teeth eliminate the need for a bone graft, allowing more patients to qualify for the restorative procedure than ever before. With All-on-4, Dr. Shlafer can help prevent the harmful effects of tooth loss, such as facial collapse, an aging complexion, and even infection. In addition to supporting a healthy jawbone, All-on-4 treatment offers a number of unique advantages:
- Unmatched stability
- Stimulates healthy jawbone growth
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Restores chewing and speaking function
- Improves your appearance and self-confidence
- Highly durable for long-lasting results
- Faster treatment and recovery time
- Lasts up to a lifetime with proper care
- Preserves the shape of your jawbone
- Won’t fall out or slide out of place
- Natural-looking tooth replacement solution
- No denture-related lesions
- Less risk of post-op infection
The All-on-4 Process
We personalize each treatment to cater to your unique needs, so you can enjoy all the benefits permanent teeth have to offer. Here’s how treatment with All-on-4 works:
- Your consultation with Dr. Shlafer—During your consultation, Dr. Shlafer will review your medical history, examine your oral health, discuss your treatment options, and help you determine if you’re a candidate for All-on-4 implants.
- Placing the dental implants—If All-on-4 is right for you, we can begin the process right away. Dr. Shlafer will accurately place four dental implants directly into your jawbone to ensure a secure and natural fit.
- The healing process—The implants will begin to fuse together with your jawbone. This is what allows dental implants to have their superior stability and ability to help with jawbone regrowth. We’ll provide you with a temporary restoration during the healing process, which can take several months. In some cases, you may be eligible to get your implants on the same day.
- Attaching your permanent restoration—After the area has healed, you’ll return to our Farmington Hills office to complete the procedure. Dr. Shlafer will secure your permanent set of teeth to the implants, giving you the freedom of a fully-functioning new smile.
Candidacy for All-on-4
Since they maximize your bone density, All-on-4 makes implant restoration possible for patients who would have trouble receiving it otherwise due to issues with jawbone density. By eliminating the need for a bone graft, All-on-4 saves time and money, while also making the procedure available to a wider range of patients.
If you’re missing one or both arches of teeth, then you’re likely a candidate for All-on-4. During your initial consultation, Dr. Shlafer will evaluate your oral health to determine if All-on-4 is the ideal treatment for you. Ideal candidates for All-on-4 are patients who:
- Have moderately good health
- Want immediate, lasting results
- Aren’t on certain medications
- Don’t smoke or use tobacco products
- Would typically need a bone graft
- Want a cost-effective treatment
With the right care, All-on-4 dental implants can last for at least 20 years or longer. Extending the longevity of your implants means brushing at least twice a day, flossing daily, and rinsing in between meals. If you maintain excellent oral hygiene, your implants may never need to be replaced.
Dr. Shlafer recommends using a soft-bristled toothbrush and non-abrasive toothpaste to prevent scratching your new restoration. It’s also important to schedule bi-annual dental exams and teeth cleanings with Dr. Shlafer at our practice in Farmington Hills, MI.
Traditional dentures are removable and rely on adhesives to stay in place. Some patients may find the adhesives to be messy and inconvenient. While dentures are a quick solution to tooth loss, they don’t provide any support to your jawbone and some patients find that they are not as secure as they’d like.
All-on-4 dentures are secured to your jaw with dental implants for unmatched stability. They’ll never fall out of place and they stimulate your jawbone to prevent deterioration. Best of all, you won’t have to worry about any special cleaning solutions or adhesives.
Dr. Shlafer will apply local anesthesia to numb the surgical area before your treatment. This will ensure you don’t feel any pain while your implants are placed. We also offer sedation options for patients who suffer from dental anxiety.
As with any surgical procedure, you’ll likely experience some discomfort for a few days after treatment. Most patients only report mild symptoms that can be managed with over-the-counter medications such as ibuprofen, but we can prescribe pain medication if needed.
The average cost of All-on-4 dental implants can range from anywhere between $15,000 to $24,000 to restore an upper or lower arch of teeth. However, this price is different for each patient depending on a variety of factors. These factors include the condition of your oral health, the number of arches being restored, and if a supplemental procedure is needed.
Most insurance companies will cover a portion of the cost, but some may not. We recommend contacting your provider prior to your consultation. Our office also offers financing solutions to help you get the care you deserve.
Restore Your Smile with Dr. Shlafer
If you have limited bone mass and want to restore your smile or if you’re looking to restore a full arch of teeth, All-on-4 implant dentures are the solution you’ve been waiting for. Offering a combination of stability, durability, and convenience, it’s no surprise this innovative treatment continues to grow in popularity.
Give us a call at (248) 781-0040 or fill out our online contact form to schedule your complimentary implant consultation with Dr. Shlafer. We proudly serve patients from Canton, Plymouth, Southfield, Franklin, Beverly Hills, and throughout Michigan.
Don’t wait, come and see how dentistry is done differently at Roman Shlafer, DDS.