Protect Your Smile with Mouthguards
In the fast-paced world of sports and active lifestyles, safeguarding your smile is important. Fortunately, our Farmington Hills, MI dentist, Dr. Roman Shlafer offers mouthguards, providing a vital shield against potential dental injuries. Whether you're a dedicated athlete or simply someone who enjoys an energetic pursuit, understanding the significance of mouthguards in preserving your oral health is essential.
What Is a Mouthguard?
A mouthguard is a protective device designed to cover and cushion the teeth, gums, and surrounding oral structures. It is typically made of soft, flexible material and is custom-fitted to an individual's mouth. Mouthguards are commonly used in sports and recreational activities to prevent injuries to the mouth and jaw.
Types of Mouthguards
In addition to customized mouthguards, there are also stock mouthguards and boil and bite mouthguards.
- Stock mouthguards are carried in retail stores. While they’re cheap, these devices are one-size-fits-all, which does not allow full protection. In addition, some patients might find them uncomfortable.
- Boil and bite mouthguards are made of special plastic that, once boiled, becomes moldable. You then need to bite into it, and the plastic forms around your bite. While some may find these to be better than stock mouthguards, the risk of user error could mean a wasted mold— or worse, an ill-fitting appliance.
As a safer and more effective alternative, Dr. Shlafer recommends customized high-quality mouthguards that offer the best fit and the highest level of protection.
Benefits of Using a Mouthguard
Injury Prevention: The primary purpose of a mouthguard is to protect the teeth and soft tissues of the mouth from injuries during physical activities. It acts as a shock absorber, dispersing and absorbing the force of impacts, thereby reducing the risk of fractures, dislocations, and lacerations.
Preventing TMJ Disorders: Mouthguards can also help in preventing temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders by providing a cushioning effect, which reduces the pressure on the jaw joint during activities that involve jaw movement.
Protecting Against Bruxism: For individuals suffering from bruxism (teeth grinding or clenching), a special type of mouthguard, called a nightguard, can be custom-made to protect teeth from excessive wear and prevent associated complications.
Candidacy for Mouthguards
- Those prone to teeth grinding or clenching (bruxism)
- Individuals with temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders
- Children and adolescents engaged in sports or physical activities with a risk of oral injury
Frequently Asked Questions
Guarding Your Smile Is Our Top Priority!
A mouthguard is an essential piece of protective gear that can safeguard your teeth and oral health during physical activities. By investing in a custom-fitted mouthguard, you're not only preventing potential injuries but also ensuring a comfortable and secure fit. Whether you're an athlete or someone dealing with teeth grinding, a mouthguard is a valuable addition to your oral health regimen. Don't hesitate to consult your dentist to find the right mouthguard for your specific needs.