Protect Your Health With Dr. Shlafer
We’ll always do everything in our power to prevent it, but there are certain cases when the only option is to remove a tooth. Common reasons for an extraction include:
- Irreparable damage from decay
- Severe trauma, such as a car accident or blow to the face
- A primary tooth that fails to erupts properly in the gumline
- An impacted wisdom tooth
If you have a tooth that’s threatening your overall health, Dr. Shlafer can remove it and provide a restoration that fits your needs.
Our Extraction Process
To perform an extraction, Dr. Shlafer will make a small incision in your gums and remove the tooth. Them, he’ll stich the area back up to begin the healing process. You’ll be given a local anesthetic before the procedure to ensure you don’t feel any pain, or Dr. Shlafer can provide sedation upon request.
After the tooth is removed, he’ll discuss your restoration options. If you want to enjoy maximum benefits for your health, we recommend dental implants. They’re the only permanent, natural-looking replacement for missing teeth.
Wisdom Tooth Removal
When wisdom teeth fail to erupt properly in the gumline, they become impacted. This can lead to pain in your gums and jaw, headaches, and other symptoms.
If you have any impacted wisdom teeth, Dr. Shlafer will remove them to protect your long-term health. Just like a traditional extraction, he’ll provide anesthetic or sedation to ensure your comfort.
You may feel some soreness or discomfort after the procedure, but this will fade within a few days. Dr. Shlafer will also prescribe medication to help you manage your pain.
After a tooth extraction, it's crucial to follow Dr. Shlafer's instructions in order to avoid compliccations. Some of the most improtant are:
- Avoid forceful splitting or suctions, such as drinking through a straw
- Avoid physical activity and stick to a soft food diet for the first few days
- Apply an ice pack to your cheeks to minimize swelling
- Take your pain medication as described
- Starting the day after surgery, rinse your mouth with warm salt water 5-6 times per day
Visit Dr. Shalfer for Safe Tooth Removal
If you have a tooth that needs to be removed, Dr. Shlafer can provide the comfortable treatment you need. Call our office in Farmington Hills at (248) 781-0040. and schedule a free consultation with Dr. Shalfer today.