Minimally Invasive Periodontal Treatment
Gum disease is a common oral health issue that affects roughly half of Americans over 30. Without treatment, gum disease can lead to serious consequences including tooth loss and cardiovascular problems.
Until recently, the only way to treat gum disease was through traditional surgical methods that involved using scalpels to cut into your gum tissue. Unfortunately, this can end up harming your bone or healthy gum tissue and result in negative side effects.
Now, thanks to advances in dental technology, we offer a safer and more comfortable alternative to traditional gum surgery. The Laser-Assisted New Attachment Procedure (LANAP) uses a highly selective laser to remove bacteria from your gums without damaging any healthy tissue.
The LANAP Process
The LANAP process is fast and simple, typically completed within two appointments lasting roughly two hours each. The steps for LANAP treatment include:
- Using the Periolase® MVP-7™, Dr. Shlafer will target the infected areas of your gums and open space between your teeth and gum tissue. This allows him to remove any excess bacteria.
- After the bacteria is removed, Dr. Shlafer uses the laser to form a gel-clot, reattaching your gums to your teeth. From this point, your gum tissue will begin to heal and regenerate.
- Since no sedation is necessary for LANAP, you’ll be able to drive yourself home from your appointment and resume normal activities the next day. However, it’s best to limit your diet to soft foods for a few days while your gums recover.
The Benefits of LANAPLANAP treatment offers many unique benefits, including:
- No scalpels or stitching
- Minimal pain/discomfort
- Short treatment time
- Fast recovery
- Preserves your healthy tissue
- Stimulates gum regeneration
- Long-lasting results
Visit Dr. Shlafer for LANAP Gum Treatment
If you suffer from gum disease, don’t settle for traditional surgery that can harm your healthy gum tissue. Thanks to the Periolase MVP-7, there’s now a safer, more comfortable, and more effective alternative for treating infected gums.
If you want to learn more about this innovative treatment, contact our practice in Farmington Hills and schedule a free consultation with Dr. Shlafer. He’ll explain the LANAP process in detail and determine if it’s the ideal treatment for you.