Pain-Free Treatment for Gum Disease
Periodontal disease, commonly known as gum disease, is a serious oral infection resulting from bacteria found in plaque building up in your teeth and gums. Gum disease has major drawbacks for your smile and also increases your risk of serious health issues such as tooth loss, further infection, and even cardiovascular disease.
Treatment is necessary, but you may feel intimidated by the surgical process. In the past, periodontal treatment involved drills and scalpels, the destruction of healthy tissue, and long healing times. Fortunately, dental technology has advanced and at the office of Dr. Roman Shlafer, we offer LANAP laser therapy for periodontal treatment.
What is LANAP?
LANAP stands for Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure. The main difference between LANAP laser therapy and traditional surgical periodontal treatment is that a laser replaces the usual tools. We use the PerioLase® MVP-7™ laser, the only FDA-approved laser for gum disease treatment.
Benefits of LANAP
LANAP laser treatment offers several benefits that traditional gum surgery can't match, including:
- No scapels or stitching
- Significantly reduced chance of infection
- Minimal pain/discomfort
- Preserves your healthy tissue
- Stimulates gum regeneration
- Short treatment time
- Fast recovery
- Long-lasting results
How Does LANAP Treatment Work?
- Before you can receive LANAP laser therapy, you’ll need to undergo a consultation with Dr. Shalfer. Dr. Shalfer will use this time to thoroughly examine your mouth and review your medical history to evaluate your level of oral health. He’ll also discuss your budget and your oral health goals with you to determine if LANAP is a good treatment option for you.
- When you return for treatment, we’ll begin by cleaning out your mouth and applying a local anesthetic. Laser therapy can sometimes eliminate pain by cauterizing nerve endings in the tissue it targets, but we use an anesthetic to eliminate any residual pain.
- Once we’ve ensured that your anesthetic is working, Dr. Shlafer will measure the depth of the pockets in your gums.
- Then, he’ll use the PerioLase MVP-7 to remove bacteria and diseased tissue from your gums.
- Once this is complete, Dr. Shlafer will use the laser again to form a blood clot, reattaching your gums to your teeth for minimal bleeding and a faster healing process. This will also stimulate the growth of healthy tissue to restore your gums.
- Depending on the severity of your case, Dr. Shlafer may have you return for more sessions. Once treatment is completely finished, your infection will be gone and your gums will be in much better condition.
There are very few limitations on who can receive laser therapy for periodontal treatment. If there are any possible medical limitations that could disqualify you, Dr. Shlafer will be sure to review and discuss them with you before any procedure takes place.
LANAP: Less Invasive Procedures, Superior Results
If you have gum disease and are looking for a minimally invasive treatment, LANAP could be the solution you've been waiting for. Offering a combination of minimal pain and maximum convenience, it's no surprise that this procedure continues to grow in popularity.
To schedule your free consultation at our Farmington, MI office, give us a call at (248) 781-0040. You can also schedule your visit online and a friendly team member will get back to you shortly.