An Effective Solution to Tooth Loss
When you have missing teeth, everyday tasks like chewing, speaking, and even socializing can become difficult but fortunately, there’s a quick fix to restore your smile. Dr. Shlafer offers dental bridges as one of our many restorative solutions. A fixed porcelain bridge may be the perfect solution to replace consecutive missing teeth. These reliable restorations are perfect for patients looking for a long-term solution to restoring function to their smiles. Dental bridges don’t need to be removed, don’t require surgery, and can be maintained just like natural teeth which makes them a great option for some patients.
Dr. Shlafer recommends dental bridges to Michigan patients in Canton, Plymouth, Southfield, Franklin, Beverly Hills, and the surrounding areas who’re looking for a convenient and effective solution to tooth loss.
What is a Dental Bridge?
A dental bridge is a customized restoration comprised of prosthetic teeth, called pontics, that fit in the space to “bridge” the gap and replace missing teeth. It works best for patients who still have some of their natural teeth, as the bridge relies on the adjacent teeth for support.
The natural teeth act as sturdy “anchors” for the bridge and fill the space between one or more missing teeth. These fixed bridges are created with durable, color-matched porcelain, so they’ll appear natural and allow patients to regain function.
Benefits of Dental Bridges
Dr. Shlafer recommends dental bridges for patients who have more than one missing tooth. There are various reasons why many patients invest in dental bridges as their restoration option, such as:
- Restoring the appearance and integrity of your smile
- Maintaining your facial structure and shape
- Preventing your remaining teeth from shifting out of alignment
- Restoring speaking and chewing ability
Placing a Dental Bridge
During your initial consultation, Dr. Shlafer will perform a comprehensive examination of your teeth, mouth, and jaws to determine if a dental bridge is the best restoration for you. From there, we can have your dental bridge placed within two visits at our Farmington office.
- Your Consultation: During your first appointment, Dr. Shlafer will prepare and reshape the anchoring teeth to which your bridge will attach. Some of the enamel and tooth structure will be removed to allow for the crowns that will cover them
- Customizing Your Dental Bridge: From there, Dr. Shlafer will take impressions of your teeth which will be sent to a dental lab where we’ll create a custom-fit color-matched bridge for you. In the meantime, we’ll provide you with a temporary bridge.
- Finalizing Your Restoration: As soon as your bridge is complete, you will come back in to have it placed in your second appointment. Dr. Shlafer will firmly secure it using a strong dental resin and check to make sure it fits you comfortably and you are free to go about your day with a freshly restored smile.
With proper maintenance, dental bridges can last between 10 and 15 years. To best preserve the life of your dental bridge, you should:
- Avoid: chewy, sticky, or hard food for the first two weeks after the procedure.
- Develop a consistent oral hygiene routine: brushing twice a day, rinsing after meals, and flossing once a day preferably at night.
- Schedule biannual dental appointments: Visiting Dr. Shlafer once every six months allows us to make sure your teeth remain healthy and free of decay which will preserve your restoration.
In general, insurance will typically cover a portion of the expense of your dental bridge. However, it’s important to check with your specific insurance plan to ensure the specific details of your coverage. Dr. Shlafer is committed to making dental care as accessible as possible, so we also offer financing options for your convenience.
Restore Your Smile With Dr. Shlafer
If you’re struggling to eat and speak properly or find that socializing with your friends has grown more difficult because of tooth loss, dental bridges may be the quick, easy solution you’ve been looking for. In just two appointments, you can have a renewed smile and confidence. Give us a call at (248) 781-0040 or fill out our online contact form to schedule your complimentary consultation with Dr. Shlafer. Before you know it, you can enjoy all the benefits of a flawless smile.
We proudly serve patients from Canton, Plymouth, Southfield, Franklin, Beverly Hills, and throughout Michigan. Don’t wait, come and see how dentistry is done differently at Roman Shlafer, DDS.