Restore Damaged Teeth With Dr. Shlafer
When teeth become damaged, they also become more susceptible to decay, infection, and loosening. Extracting these teeth and installing a dental implant can be a highly beneficial solution, but the process is invasive and not everyone qualifies for dental implants. If these teeth are extracted or fall out, not replacing them can lead to several health issues including jawbone deterioration, gum disease, and dental shift.
Fortunately, Dr. Shlafer offers dental crowns as an alternative to extraction and implants that can potentially save your teeth and restore your smile.
What Are Dental Crowns?
Dental crowns are cap-like restorations that restore the function and appearance of your tooth. They achieve this by covering the natural tooth, helping to protect it from damage and allowing you to retain the natural tooth’s root.
When Should I Get a Dental Crown?
Dental crowns can typically be used to treat the following issues:
- Severely decayed teeth
- Damaged teeth from accidental trauma or injury
- Weakened or worn down teeth
- Teeth with large fillings
Crowns are also frequently used to hold dental bridges in place and to complete dental implant restorations.
Benefits of Dental Crowns
Dental crowns offer a range of unique benefits, some of which include:
- Natural appearance
- Stain resistance
- High durability
- Restores bite force
- Customized to match your natural teeth
- Fast treatment & healing time
- Minimally invasive procedure
The Dental Crowns Process
Restoring your damaged tooth with a dental crown is a relatively simple process that can typically be completed in just two appointments.
- You’ll undergo a consultation with Dr. Shlafer where he’ll evaluate your level of oral health and decide if dental crowns are the right solution for your unique oral health needs. He’ll then discuss your options, medical history, budget, and oral health goals with you to help you make an informed, beneficial decision.
- Once you’ve both decided that dental crowns are right for you, Dr. Shlafer will take a precise impression of your teeth that will serve as the blueprint for your permanent crown.
- Dr. Shlafer will provide you with a temporary crown to wear until you return for your permanent crown in about two weeks. Your permanent crown will be shaped and customized to look like your natural teeth.
- Before Dr. Shlafer places your permanent crown, we’ll apply a local anesthetic so you won’t feel any pain during the procedure.
- After we’ve ensured your anesthetic is working properly, Dr. Schlafer will file down the affected tooth. This will allow the tooth to serve as a base for the crown.
- Dr. Shlafer will check with you to make sure that your crown is to your liking, then apply the crown using a special dental adhesive.
- After your restoration is fully installed, you’ll be able to leave our Farmington office with your stunning new smile that same day.
CEREC® Single-Visit Crowns
For patients of Dr. Shalfer who are more pressed for time, we also offer CEREC® Single-Visit Crowns which we fabricat in-office with advanced CEREC technology. With CEREC® crowns, we can eliminate the wait time for permanent crowns and the need for temporary crowns. Here’s how it works:
- CEREC® software creates a 3D virtual model of your teeth.
- This 3D model is sent to a specially engineered milling machine located in our Farmington office.
- The milling machine will precisely measure and begin crafting the crown from specially engineered materials. Crafting one CEREC® crown only takes between ten to twenty minutes.
- Dr. Shlafer will place your crown on the spot, completing the entire process in approximately an hour.
- Continuing to practice proper oral hygiene at home by brushing, flossing before bed, and rinsing after meals every day.
- Avoiding eating or chewing on sticky, crunchy, and hard things such as nuts, fingernails, and ice.
- Asking Dr. Shalfer about treatment if you suffer from teeth grinding or bruxism
- Seeing Dr. Shalfer at least twice a year for regular check-ups
Quickly and Effectively Restore Your Smile
When damage has taken a toll on your teeth, crowns can restore beauty and function to your smile. Crowns can help you enjoy all the benefits of a full smile again in just one day.
To learn more about how dental crowns can restore your smile, or to schedule an appointment with Dr. Shlafer at our Farmington, MI office, call us at (248) 781-0040. You can also schedule your visit online and a team member will get back to you shortly.